Welcome






Hello all. I'm an artist/gardener. My intention is to feel about my art making as I do when I'm working in the garden--focused, peaceful and connected. I'm convinced that there are deep historical connections between the garden and creating and my work continues that tradition. I'm presently focused on the places where domesticity and wildness meet. In my mind, it's all one thing.
Please feel free to leave comments for me. I'd love to hear from you.

Here we Go Now

It is finally time for me to get in the greenhouse every day. I'm working on a new garden project with my friends Jill and David. We are growing heirloom and open pollinated vegetable and herb starts to sell at Farmers Market. I always sell tomatoes and peppers, herbs and flowers but we're doing a bigger variety. The intention is to be able to offer people some of the genetic seed treasure that heirloom & OP varieties contain. The recipients of our project will be able to save the seed from these plants and start or continue their own heirloom seed collections. I'll be posting our list soon, once everything has germinated.


Sunday, February 21, 2010

I've been thinking about the art that really touches me.  In general, it takes a little time to contemplate work enough to understand it. Quite often, I'm not sure at first why I have the immediate emotional response. Part of it is seeing the work--beautiful colors, pleasing forms, challenging juxtapositions, carefully arranged installations.  The materials  and form matters.  The craftsmanship expresses an attitude.  How the artists work with others is an element.  Where they show their work communicates something. But I need to look a little more deeply.  

Always,  I am moved by artists who have a loving heart.  Their work is an attempt to show care and compassion.  They get up every day and make things and they believe that making art matters.  I'm drawn to work that has an element of domesticity and/or spirituality.

Like the Shakers, Julia Galloway and  Joseph Pintz   make domestic art objects with great love.  They don't claim that their work is religious but I see spirit in in it.  Julia  is passionate about creating and teaching others. Joseph is passionate about the history of a people's domestic objects from a particular place and time.  Wolfgang Laib's  installations are intensely religious and remind me of the spiritual element of art--One of my teachers led me to him so I feel a bit like a Wolfgang pilgrim as I follow his work.  Sadashi Inuzuka made work from bread in his kitchen for a period of time partly because he was concerned about the safety of materials when he worked at home around his family.  He teaches his students to keep their studios clean in respect for their space and the impact on others.  He encourages them to use as low a firing temperature for their ceramics as possible.  He is almost blind but actively teaches at the University level, and through his arts program for handicapped children.  

So art that is meaningful for me incorporates the life and beliefs of the artist.  The artists are passionate and caring towards work, their families and all of their relationships and it shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watermark

Watermark

Favorite Artists

etsy front page